Sunday 1 July 2012

No buy June

As I mentioned at the start of the month I had decided I wasn't going to buy any yarn during June and I'm quite proud that I actually succeeded! And not only did I resist adding to my stash, I also managed to knit 2484 yards out of it (well technically some of that was knit in May with my Romantika but I don't count yarn as used up until the project is finished) and sold 110 yards so that's nearly 2600 yards out of my stash, not bad I think!

So what do I do now? I found it was a good exercise in making me think rather than just purchasing yarn because it was pretty. Right now I'm having a little bit of an urge to purchase ALL THE YARNZ!!! But at the same time I don't want to buy just for the sake of it.

This month I have two projects I want to get knitted up, I want to finish my second sock and I also want to knit up a Traveling Woman shawl. The shawl is especially important to me because I'm planning on wearing it next month when we get married!!

I think for the time being I'm going to resist buying any yarn until my shawl and sock are finished. Then if I've found a pattern I really really want to knit then I can buy yarn for just that pattern. However I will try to pick a pattern that uses stash yarn instead.

Eventually I'd like to get to the point where I have a fairly small stash and can buy yarn for a specific project as and when I want to knit it. Hopefully I'll get there by the end of this year :-)

5 comments:

  1. Well done on a whole month of no yarn buying!! Sometimes I think I am doing well, but things have snuck in without me really noticing (how bad is that!) So exciting about the upcoming wedding, do we get details?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think declaring it publicly on here kept me honest. There were a couple of times where I thought about buying some yarn and then hiding it or buying yarn at the end of the month which wouldn't count as it would arrive in July!

      I might do a wedding post at some point, there's not really much to tell though. We've got the smallest room at the registry office and only immediate family members will be there. We went shopping for outfits at the weekend so have some fairly casual clothes to wear (apart from DP who is being difficult!). The plan is to have a picnic in the nearby country park afterward :-)

      Delete
  2. Well done on the whole no yarn buying thing. Sometimes there is just too much pretty stuff out there. What yarn are you using for your wedding shawl? It looks like a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn in a purple/green colourway by Easyknits called Witches Brew. It's got a silvery thread through it so it sparkles :-)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the upcoming wedding and the no buy June. I tried to have a no buy month but caved,it was to pretty to pass up. Looking forward to seeing the shawl completed

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...