Tuesday 3 September 2013

Scary knitting and a pair of socks

I've tackled socks, I've tackled lace, I've even tackled lace with beads. None of these techniques are quite as scary to me as the project I'm going to share today. I'm doing colourwork. And then when it's finished I'm cutting to steek it, i.e. CUT my knitting. ARGH!

The pattern is the Happy Days cardigan which was from a magazine I bought. I adore the pattern but I've been putting it off because I'm scared.

DSC_0525
 

It's not logical. Knitting in the round I can do. Alternating colours I can do although I'm having to be mindful of leaving the floats at the back nice and loose and paying attention to colour dominance. And how hard is it going to be to cut a line up my knitting... well very easy from a practical sense at least lol

*gulp*

I'm aiming to get this cardigan finished by Christmas. That's almost 4 months away, not too much pressure. I figure I'll do a row or two at a time when I'm in the mood and maybe with practice I'll get more confident.

A challenge is good. It's good to expand my skill and learn new techniques. But I might need a bit of hand holding at times lol.

***

I'd also like to share some photos of my holiday socks (excuse the state of the carpet in the background, cleaning is frustratingly futile with 4 children around all day!). I think I'm going to have to ask Mr Soaring Sheep to get me some sock blockers for Christmas because taking photos of your own feet is rather tricky! These were knitted as we drove around Wales to visit castles, waterfalls and the beach. They make me smile when I remember

DSC_0523


I did a gusset heel for these and I love the result. It was lovely to knit, fits well and looks very neat and tidy. My new favourite heel :-)

DSC_0524



Tomorrow is the last day of the Summer holidays. I'm ready for the children to go back to school now but I will miss having them around. My little boy will be starting school next week which is a bit of a milestone. I'll be back to just having one child at home during the day. It will take some getting used to, I've not had one at home since my eldest was a toddler, 6 years ago :-o

2 comments:

  1. steeking is one of those things I am not sure I am brave enough to do. I love some patterns that call for it but like you I keep putting them off. Yay for taking the leap, cannot wait to see how it turns out. I am sure it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are one brave knitter. There are some good steek tutorials out there that make it look so easy. When you knit, one good tip if you didn't know already is to stretch out the frabric on the right so it's straight and flat. This will help ensure good floats.
    I like your socks :O). They remind me of Lite Brights or those scratch off sheets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...